Juicy raw meat served up fresh for conservative political junkies...

Friday, May 9, 2008

Seems like he has his bearings

by George Dienhart

Sen. McCain’s remarks from the TIME 100 'most influential people in the world' Gala.

'I'm informed that it is the custom to toast someone who has influenced our lives. In that case, please raise your glass to the discernment and probity of the people of New Hampshire. Running for President of the United States is an unusual experience: invigorating, fatiguing, flattering and humbling in equal measure. This long and surprising campaign seems to have exhausted reporters as well as your expense accounts. Imagine the effect it has had on the candidates: the strain of constant travel; the stress of never knowing what one of your supporters might say that at least temporarily puts your campaign on defense - or in my campaign, what I might say- and the terror of knowing that only one of us will be invited to this dinner next year.  

'It's a tough business. And though we are rivals, we should respect each other's willingness to hazard it. Senator Obama is a man of unusual eloquence, who has performed the very worthy service of summoning to the political arena Americans who once wrongly thought it of little benefit to them. Senator Clinton has demonstrated great tenacity and courage; two qualities I have always esteemed. I count myself among their many admirers. Please join me, then, in a toast to my opponents and compatriots, Senators Clinton and Obama, and to the noisy, contentious, striving, beautiful country we hope to lead.'